Monday, July 11, 2011

Hootin' and holler'in

"[R]ough treatment ... should never be administered to these dogs, especially when they are young. They go to pieces with handling of that kind." Francis Barnes wrote that in 1922 in the first Rhodesian Ridgeback breed standard. Here’s a picture of him, I like the ‘stache:


Now, I know that I am not necessarily a Ridgeback. If we want to get all technical about it, my breed is big-brown-dog-from-a-dusty-Georgia-road. But, I think I’ve got some of those good ‘ol lion-hunting genes in me. And what Francis said back in the day definitely applies to me. I may be a tough lion-hunting boy on the outside, but I’m really just a softie on the inside and don’t take well to rough treatment. I don’t quite know what happened in my early days, but if there is a really loud noise (foster dad is “fixing” something around the house) or someone gives me a loud reprimand for attempting to sneak a burger, sometimes I can’t help but run and find a place to hide and shake for a while. (and, really, I don't like it much when a motorcycle or big 'ol diesel truck rumbles by too close... so I give them a bark to let them know they startled me out of my lion hunting focus). This happened more often when I first got to my foster house and I wasn’t quite comfortable. I know it’s kind of a funny thing to do, for such a big and mighty guy as myself, but I just don’t like banging or anyone holler’in at me.
That said, once I get on a squirrel-barking tear out back with my little hound of a foster brother, sometimes my foster parents have to get a bit stern to call me in. A deep voice, a crooked finger, and a good evil stare out of one eye usually does the trick. But if I was real close to catching that squirrel, I might just make foster dad come out and get me by the collar. Sometimes I wink at him once he’s got me. (Oh, and if I come in right away, I usually get a nice treat - but I'd rather catch the critter most of the time!)

A noble, yet sensitive picture of yours truly after the break!
Mighty and Noble! But sensitive too!

No comments:

Post a Comment